Sunday, February 3, 2013

DIY: Homemade Buttermilk

I have taken up baking recently, and since I'm such a noob at everything cooking related, I do not know which places are the best to look for some ingredients used in baking. Just a few weeks ago, I made some red velvet cupcakes, and I've bought everything except for BUTTERMILK! I searched 3 different grocery stores, went back and forth the milk aisle, dairy, etc… and hey.. no buttermilk! So I looked it up, I was wondering if maybe I can omit that certain ingredient. But hey, no. That's because buttermilk is one of the key ingredients that make your cake moist. I decided to look for an alternative, and here it is - Make your own buttermilk. :D Yayy! It's super easy actually, and the things you need for this is pretty much already available in your kitchen.

What you need:
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar

How to:
Pour the white vinegar on the milk and stir. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes. And ta-daaaa! It's ready to use. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment